A taxpayer can claim the R&D Credit by completing Form 6765. In order to complete this form a company must identify qualified research expenses (QREs) as defined by section 41(d) of the Internal Revenue Code. QREs are connected to qualified research activities claimed. Identifying qualified research expenses usually requires guidance from third-parties with expertise in the various tax law surrounding the credit.